Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reuters: Sports News: Tennis: Djokovic suffers shock loss to Tomic

Reuters: Sports News
Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Tennis: Djokovic suffers shock loss to Tomic
Jan 2nd 2013, 11:51

PERTH | Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:51am EST

PERTH (Reuters) - World No.1 Novak Djokovic suffered a shock loss to Australian Bernard Tomic at the Hopman Cup team event on Wednesday, two weeks before the defense of his Australian Open title.

Two days after Djokovic sustained a minor injury when a crowd barricade fell into his shin while he was signing autographs, Djokovic was defeated 6-4 6-4 as Australia took a 1-0 lead in the tie against Serbia.

Australia's Ashleigh Barty was due to play Ana Ivanovic in the women's singles later.

Tomic had a poor 2012 in which he fell to outside the top 50 in the world rankings but the 20-year has vowed to return to the top 10 this year.

He has recorded back-to-back victories at the Hopman Cup against Germany's Tommy Haas and Djokovic.

"I'm thankful to get the opportunity to play against Novak," Tomic said. "I was very nervous before the match. I've worked hard on my serve and technique in the off-season and I think that's why I won. And I've been working on my head a lot, trying to not get distracted."

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Great HTML Templates from easytemplates.com.